Just as you paint the dap-boards on a new house to seal up and protect the structure, sealcoating a sound pavement will cause it to have a much longer life than that of an unsealed pavement. Even on a weak pavement, sealcoating will preserve the elastic and adhesive characteristics of the asphaltic binder and seal out the water and oxidizing effects of the sun, salts, and petroleum spillage. This coating preserves the pavement surface, and the asphaltic and aggregate layers will remain dry and in place.
BENEFITS OF SEALER
- Easy to apply
- Outstanding resistance to detergents used to clean pavements subjected to heavy fuel, oil or grease spillages. Excellent resistance to water.
- Unexcelled flexibility over a wide temperature range.
- Superior weathering ability.
- Non-scuffing under normal conditions.
- Readily mixed with sand where a nonskid surface or increased traction is desired.
- Extends the service life of asphalt pavements.
- Lends ease to cleaning and maintenance of asphalt.
- Adds safety by minimizing loose stone and aggregate “roll” out.
- Can be striped with water based paints after curing. (Ideally after 24 hrs If possible)
Sealer is intended to be used only as a protective coat and not as a repair, leveling material or wearing surface. Sealer is only as good as the bituminous pavement to which it is applied. It will not prevent the cracking of bituminous pavements caused by excessive voids, poor mix stability, poor compaction or low use areas. It should be applied to durable bituminous pavements which are made with an asphalt cement having a penetration grade that meets the climate and usage requirements of the pavement in point and properly constructed over a sound and well drained base. Where the sealer is applied over anything less, any cracks that will occur will be magnified by the sealer’s uniform velvet texture.
NOTE: Although the sealer exhibits excellent protective and wearing qualities, periodic resealing is necessary in heavy traffic areas since the film is a surface treatment and subject to wear.